UD Falls to Saint Joseph’s, 4-3, in Tight Match
ELKTON, Md. – It all came down to the final match Saturday evening as Saint Joseph’s University overtook the University of Delaware women’s tennis team, 4-3, at Elkton Indoor Tennis.
With things knotted up at 3-3, junior Kim Milla (México City, México) fell, 2-6, 6-2, 10-6, in a heartbreaker to Arianne Polatnick in the deciding match.
With the loss, the Blue Hens move to 2-2 on the season while the Hawks earned their first victory and improved to 1-4 overall.
Delaware opened the evening by earning the doubles team point as senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) and sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) defeated Aurora Davis and Alex Zachem, 8-2, in No. 1 doubles while Milla paired up with sophomore Danea Jonjic’ (Split, Croatia) for an 8-2 win in No. 3 action.
Safron also picked up a dominating 6-1, 6-0 victory in No. 2 singles over Kristina Eisenbrand.
Lai continued a successful spring season with a 6-4, 6-1 win against Devi Jadeja in the third flight.
Head coach Laura Travis
“It was another exciting night at Elkton Indoor Tennis as things came down to the last match on court, split sets and a 10-point tiebreaker for the final decision. As well as we fought, St. Joe’s earned the win. There were some fantastic matches tonight. In the end, St. Joe’s wanted this match and it showed in each of their players’ fighting spirit, regardless of individual match wins.”
· Carmen Lai leads the Blue Hens with a five-match singles winning streak.
· Dorothy Safron has won three straight singles matches for Delaware.
· Safron is now has 67 singles victories during her four-year career with the Hens, a mark good to tie for sixth all-time with Susan Pollack (2004-08).
· The pairs of Safron/Lai and Danea Jonjic’/Kim Milla have each won three straight doubles matches.
· Safron and Lai are 25-17 all-time as a doubles duo, which ties the pair for fifth place in school history with Amanda Campbell and Megan Doran (2008-09).
· Safron is eighth all-time with 59 career doubles victories.
· Delaware is 56-51 in singles matches this season.
· The Blue Hens are 31-18 in doubles play.
· Tuesday, March 4 – Delaware at Navy – 2:30 p.m. – Annapolis, Md.
· Saturday, March 8 – Delaware at Hofstra* – 5 p.m. – Point Set Indoor Tennis Club (Oceanside, N.Y.)
· Wednesday, March 12 – Delaware at Rutgers – 1 p.m. – Atlantic Club (New Brunswick, N.J.)