University of Delaware Women’s Tennis Earns First CAA Victory of Year with 6-1 Win at Hofstra
OCEANSIDE, N.Y. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team snapped a two-match losing streak Saturday afternoon by defeating Hofstra University, 6-1, in the Blue Hens’ Colonial Athletic Association opener at PointSet Indoor Tennis.
Delaware (3-3, 1-0 CAA) earned the doubles team point as sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) and senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) edged out Bianca Derrick and Louise Lopez, 9-8 (5) while sophomore Danea Jonjic' (Split, Croatia) and junior Kim Milla (México City, México) collected an 8-2 win against the Pride (2-3, 0-1 CAA).
Senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) came from behind to pick up a 4-6, 6-1, 6-0 victory over Louise Lopez in No. 2 singles.
In the third flight, sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) defeated Carmen Pestano, 6-3, 6-3 while Naumova tallied a 6-1, 6-1 win against Guila Leon in the fourth flight.
Heim nearly swept Bianca Posa, 6-1, 6-0 in No. 5 singles while Milla registered a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Derrick in No. 6 singles.
Head coach Laura Travis
“We are progressing in the areas where we have been training. It’s advantageous when you can stick to the game plan and it also results in a win. Hofstra is getting stronger every year and this was a great team victory.”
· Delaware is now 61-58 in singles action this season.
· The Blue Hens have posted a 33-22 record in doubles play.
· Dorothy Safron is 10-6 on the year in singles action and holds a career record of 68-37, a mark that ties her for fifth all-time in Delaware history with Rebecca Fearins (1993-98).
· Olivia Heim improves to 9-8 on the year with a career mark of 56-42. Her 56 wins ties her for 13th all-time with Brittany Barsky (2004-08).
· Wednesday, March 12 – Delaware at Rutgers – 1 p.m. – Atlantic Club (New Brunswick, N.J.)
· Sunday, March 16 – Villanova at Delaware – 2:45 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Friday, March 21 – Duquesne at Delaware – 3 p.m. – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)