University of Delaware Women’s Tennis Falls Short to Villanova, 4-3
WILMINGTON, Del. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team held things close, but were unable to pull out the victory Sunday afternoon at DuPont Country Club as the Hens fell, 4-3, to Villanova.
Delaware (3-5) opened by clinching the team doubles point with wins from the top two flights.
In No. 1 doubles, senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) and sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) defeated Mikelle Mancini and Tori Smyth, 8-5. Sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) and senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) then paired for an 8-6 win over Connor Brewer and Linley Busby.
Naumova continued to edge out Busby in No. 3 singles, 6-0, 6-4 while Heim collected a 6-2, 6-4 win against Brewer in the fourth flight.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“We haven been battling a lot of injuries and illnesses recently and today was bittersweet as we had the opportunity to compete at a top-notch indoor facility at DuPont Country Club in front of a large crowd, but were unable to physically pull out a victory. All credit is due to Villanova, as they played tough the entire day throughout the lineup.”
· Dorothy Safron and Carmen Lai have won two straight doubles matches.
· The Blue Hens are now 36-24 in doubles play this season.
· Olivia Heim improves to 10-9 on the year with a career mark of 57-43, which is good for 13th in Delaware history.
· Delaware welcomed junior Christina Harrington back into the lineup after she underwent shoulder and wrist surgery this past fall.
· Friday, March 21 – Duquesne at Delaware – 3 p.m. – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)
· Wednesday, March 26 – Delaware at Lehigh – 4 p.m. – Bethlehem, Pa.
· Sunday, March 30 – Delaware vs. UNCW* - TBA – Norfolk, Va.