Blue Hens Come From Behind to Edge Duquesne, 4-3, in Women's Tennis
NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team fell behind early, but stormed back Friday afternoon to defeat Duquesne, 4-3, in the first outdoor match of the season at the Delaware Field House Courts.
The Blue Hens (4-5) dropped the first two points of the day, but immediately rallied for four straight singles victories for the win.
Senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) earned the first victory of the afternoon for UD with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Chandler Consonery in No. 4 singles.
Sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) followed with a 7-6 (5), 6-1 No. 3 singles victory against Zuzanna Stelmaszak before classmate Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) posted the go-ahead 6-2, 7-4 win over Alexa Miller.
Delaware sealed the win over the Dukes (5-7) as junior Kim Milla (México City, México) defeated Sarah Shashura, 6-0, 3-6, 6-1, in the fifth flight.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“Today was a battle between two teams playing their first match outdoors this season. It was a very close match against a strong and well-coached team. Injuries have forced us to use new doubles combinations, but that is something we will work through. We prepared as well as we possibly could have with the inclement weather, injuries and class conflicts. The team set specific performance-related objectives for this match and each player delivered.
· Carmen Lai has won a team-best three straight singles matches.
· Olivia Heim and Nataliya Naumova have each posted two consecutive singles victories.
· Heim is 11-9 on the year with a career singles mark of 58-43, which ties her for 12th in Delaware history with Alexa Dragonette (2004-08).
· Abby Martinez returned to action after tearing her ACL in January.
· The Blue Hens are 68-68 in singles play this season.
· Wednesday, March 26 – Delaware at Lehigh – 4 p.m. – Bethlehem, Pa.
· Sunday, March 30 – Delaware vs. UNCW* - TBA – Norfolk, Va.
· Tuesday, April 1 – Delaware at James Madison* - 2:30 p.m. – Harrisonburg, Va.