Blue Hens Women’s Tennis Defeated in CAA Action, 6-1, by UNCW
NORFOLK, Va. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team dropped its first Colonial Athletic Association match of the season Sunday afternoon as the Blue Hens fell to UNCW, 6-1, at Old Dominion’s Folkes Stevens Tennis Center.
Senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) was the lone Hen to come out victorious with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) win over Olga Blank in No. 2 singles.
In the fourth flight, sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) battled until the end, but came up short in a 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 1-0 (10-7) loss to Christine Kharkevitch.
Delaware had a two-match winning streak snapped to fall to 5-6 on the year and 1-1 in league play.
The victory was the seventh straight for the Seahawks, who also won for the ninth time in their last 10 matches to improve to 12-3 overall and 2-0 on the CAA.
Head coach Laura Travis
“UNCW is a very strong and deep team. We are pleased with the way that we came out and played them today. The loss stings right now, but everybody will be better for having competed the way that they did in this match.”
· Carmen Lai lost for the first time in five matches.
· Dorothy Safron returned from injury to pick up her 69th career victory, a mark good for fifth all-time in Delaware history. Current head coach Laura Travis is fourth in the record books with a career mark of 73-12.
· The Blue Hens fell to 73-75 in singles action and 37-32 in doubles play this season.
· Tuesday, April 1 – Delaware at James Madison* – 2:30 p.m. – Harrisonburg, Va.
· Saturday, April 5 – Delaware at George Mason – Noon – Fairfax, Va.
· Thursday, April 10 – Delaware at Towson* – 1 p.m. – Towson, Md.