Blue Hen Women's Tennis Blanked by James Madison, 7-0, in CAA Match
HARRISONBURG, Va. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team was unable to come out victorious Tuesday afternoon as the Blue Hens dropped a 7-0 match to James Madison University at Hillside Courts.
The loss is the second straight for UD, which falls to 5-7 overall and 1-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association. The win is the fifth consecutive for the Dukes, who improved to 10-3 on the season and 2-1 in league action.
James Madison earned the team doubles point by sweeping the Blue Hens.
Sophomore Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) forced the day’s lone three-set match with a 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 loss to Emily Bradshaw in No. 4 singles.
Junior Kim Milla (México City, México) nearly pushed her match into three sets, but fell to Cara Wirth in the No. 6 spot, 6-2, 7-5.
In the final match of the day, sophomore Danea Jonjic' (Split, Croatia) posted a top flight defeat to Taylor Pinchoff by a score of 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“In spite of the overall score, today we battled for close to four hours. We set performance goals and everybody achieved them. James Madison is another strong, deep team and this will prepare us for upcoming matches and the CAA Championships.”
· The Blue Hens have lost two straight matches.
· Delaware was held scoreless for the second time this season.
· UD is 73-81 in singles action and 37-35 in doubles play this year.
· The Hens played outside for just the third time this season.
· Saturday, April 5 – Delaware at George Mason – Noon – Fairfax, Va.
· Thursday, April 10 – Delaware at Towson* – 1 p.m. – Towson, Md.
· Saturday, April 12 – Drexel at Delaware* – Noon – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)