Navy Sweeps Delaware Women’s Tennis, 7-0, in Midweek Matinee
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team lost its second consecutive match following a 7-0 defeat to Navy Tuesday afternoon at the Tose Family Tennis Center.
Despite the outcome, the Blue Hens (2-3) held things close all afternoon. The Mids (13-3) took the first doubles match of the day and just barely pulled out the team point with 8-6 wins in the first and second flights.
In singles action, Delaware forced three-set matches in four of the six flights. Junior Kim Milla (México City, México) nearly overtook Katie Porter, but eventually fell, 6-7, 6-4, 10-8 in No. 6 singles.
Sophomores Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) and Nataliya Naumova (Moscow, Russia) in addition to senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) all required three sets against their opponents but were unable to come out victorious.
Head Coach Laura Travis
“This was a tough loss to an always strong, athletic and mentally tough Navy squad. We are developing in the areas that we have been working on, but we must keep that overall perspective. Progress is taking place and the season is really just kicking into gear.”
· Carmen Lai snapped a team-best five-match singles winning streak.
· Dorothy Safron snapped a three-match singles winning streak.
· The duo also snapped a three-match doubles winning streak.
· Delaware is 56-57 in singles matches this season.
· The Blue Hens are 31-21 in doubles play.
· Saturday, March 8 – Delaware at Hofstra* - 5 p.m. – Point Set Indoor Tennis Club (Oceanside, N.Y.)
· Wednesday, March 12 – Delaware at Rutgers – 1 p.m. – Atlantic Club (New Brunswick, N.J.)
· Sunday, March 16 – Villanova at Delaware – 2:45 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)