University of Delaware Women’s Tennis Stumbles at Rutgers, 6-1
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team was tripped up Wednesday afternoon as the Blue Hens fell to Rutgers University, 6-1, at the Atlantic Club.
Sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) proved to be the lone bright spot for Delaware, which moved to 3-4 on the season. In No. 3 singles, Lai defeated Lindsey Kayati in a tough fought battle, 2-6, 7-5, 10-5.
The Scarlet Knights opened the day by earning the team doubles point.
Lai paired up with senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) and slightly tripped up Rutgers (7-3) in doubles play by winning the top flight, 8-7 (5) over Vanessa Petrini and Kayati.
Head coach Laura Travis
“Rutgers played an exceptional match today as they posted big first serves, deep groundies and attacked court positioning. Additionally, they had few unforced errors throughout singles matches. Our areas to improve upon are even clearer after today, but we are in a good frame of mind to get back to practice.”
· Dorothy Safron is 60-38 all-time in doubles play, a mark that ties her for seventh in Delaware history with Alexa Dragonette (2004-08).
· Carmen Lai has won two straight and six of her last seven singles matches.
· The Blue Hens are 34-24 in doubles action this season while going 62-63 in singles matches.
· Sunday, March 16 – Villanova at Delaware – 2:45 p.m. – DuPont Country Club (Wilmington, Del.)
· Friday, March 21 – Duquesne at Delaware – 3 p.m. – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.)
· Wednesday, March 26 – Delaware at Lehigh – 4 p.m. – Bethlehem, Pa.