Delaware Collects Second Straight Victory With 5-2 Win at Towson
TOWSON, Md. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis team earned its second consecutive win Thursday afternoon as the Blue Hens defeated Towson University, 5-2, at the Towson Center Outdoor Courts.
Delaware opened the day by recording the crucial doubles point following three close matches.
Senior Dorothy Safron (New York, N.Y.) and sophomore Carmen Lai (Shatin, Hong Kong) picked up an 8-6 win over Nani Lizana and Ariel Burke in the top flight while junior Christina Harrington (Millersville, Md.) and sophomore Danea Jonjic’ (Split, Croatia) outdid Lorena Ferrer and Cailey Easdale, 8-5.
Singles play started with a dominating 6-0, 6-0 performance by Jonjic’ over Lizana in the No. 1 spot while Safron followed with a 6-2, 6-2 win versus Ayana Dow in the second flight.
With the Hens up by a score of 3-2, senior Olivia Heim (Gibsonia, Pa.) came from behind in her first match to pull out a 7-6, 6-3 victory against Nisha Shah to clinch the team win.
Junior Kim Milla (México City, México) also came from behind to log a 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 victory versus Burke.
With the win, Delaware improves to 7-7 on the year and 2-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association. Towson falls to 10-9 overall and 1-4 in CAA action.
Head coach Laura Travis
“This was such a long, hard fought battle that was another example of total team effort. Our seniors played extremely well and I’m glad that they were able to win in their final away dual match of their careers. It was poignant that Liv [Olivia Heim] clinched the team win today. We are looking forward to Saturday’s Senior Day and honoring both Olivia [Heim] and Dorothy [Safron] in addition to Troy [Beneck] and Adam [Lawton].”
· Dorothy Safron is 71-40 during her time with the Blue Hens, a mark good for fifth all-time. Current head coach Laura LeRoy Travis (1985-89) is fourth with a mark of 73-12.
· Olivia Heim improved her career singles mark to 61-45, which places her alone in 11th place in school history.
· Danea Jonjic’, Heim, Safron and have all won two straight matches.
· Safron paired with Carmen Lai for their second straight doubles victory.
· Safron and Lai hold a career 29-21 doubles record, good for third all-time in school history.
· Safron is fifth in the Delaware record books with a career doubles mark of 63-40.
· The Blue Hens are 42-36 in doubles action this season.
· Saturday, April 12 – Drexel at Delaware* – Noon – Delaware Field House Outdoor Courts (Newark, Del.) – Senior Day
· April 18-20 – TBA – CAA Championships – Millie West Tennis Facility (Williamsburg, Va.)