University of Delaware Volleyball Lets Two-Set Lead Slip Away in 3-2 Loss at Penn
PHILADELPHIA -- The University of Delaware volleyball team jumped out to a two-set lead but could not put the match away as Penn rallied for a 3-2 non-conference victory over the Blue Hens Tuesday night at The Palestra.
The Quakers, who also recorded a five-set win over the Blue Hens a year ago, won by set scores of 21-25, 21-25, 25-19, 26-24, 16-14.
Penn won its first match of the season and improved to 1-3 while Delaware, which had its three-match winning streak snapped, dropped to 3-4 on the year.
Sophomore Katie Hillman again led the Blue Hens with 17 kills and added 12 digs, while redshirt sophomore Chandler Bryant contributed a career-high 16 kills while leading Delaware with a .357 hitting percentage.
Katie Hank had 13 kills on the night, while Jill Meyers chipped in with 11 and a team-best six blocks. Mackenzie Olsen dished out 53 assists, and Ariel Shonk made a match-high 33 digs.
Kristen Etterbeek led the Quakers with 11 kills, while Dani Shepherd contributed 29 digs to lead Penn’s defensive effort.
The Blue Hens fell behind 3-0 in the final set, but rallied to knot the stanza at 6-6. Delaware then reeled off four straight points to take control, and eventually went in front 13-8 on a bad set by the Quakers. However Penn responded by scoring six consecutive points, and following a kill by Hank, added two more points to take the match.
“Unfortunately we had several opportunities to win the match and we didn’t get it done,” said Blue Hen head coach Bonnie Kenny. “It is a bad taste we need to learn from. I’m very disappointed in not being able to execute at the end of the match. Give credit to Penn who earned the win.”
• Katie Hillman posted her second double-double of the season and third of her career
• Hillman has led the Blue Hens in kills during each of the last five matches
• Ariel Shonk’s 33 digs and Chandler Bryant’s five blocks were both season-highs
• Mackenzie Olsen’s 53 assists was her second highest total of the year
• Each team recorded 12 blocks on the night
• Delaware and Penn have faced off in each of the last four seasons, with each team winning twice
• The Blue Hens will play their first home matches of the year this weekend at the Delaware Invitational
• UD hosts Rutgers Friday at 7 p.m. at the Bob Carpenter Center in its home opener