Delaware Volleyball Team Continues String of Thrillers, Posts 3-2 Comeback Victory Over Troy at Clemson Classic
CLEMSON, S.C. -- The University of Delaware volleyball team continued its run of thrilling matches, as the Blue Hens twice rallied from a set down to post a 3-2 victory over Troy Friday afternoon in the opening match of the Clemson Classic.
The Blue Hens, who improved to 7-5 on the year, recorded the victory by set scores of 15-25, 28-26, 20-25, 25-17, 15-10.
The match was the third consecutive five-set contest for Delaware, which has now played five five-set matches in a six-match span for the first time in school history.
Blue Hen sophomore Katie Hillman led UD with 22 kills and while adding 11 digs during the victory, as she went over the 20-kill mark for the second time this season. Senior Katie Hank contributed 19 kills and hit a team-high .300 for the match, while she surpassed the 800-kill plateau for her career.
Freshman Megan Blunden was the third Blue Hen to reach double digit kills as she drove home 11, one shy of her season high, and hit .296 on the afternoon. Mackenzie Olsen handed out 48 assists during the win, while Ariel Shonk had a match-high 24 digs and Kori Reigel contributed 10.
Marija Zelenovic posted 17 kills while Blair Winston added 13 for the Trojans, who fell to 5-7 on the campaign.
Delaware trailed two sets to one, but led for virtually the entire fourth set and captured the final four points of the stanza to force the deciding set. The Blue Hens were knotted 4-4 with Troy in the fifth set, but took control by taking the next six points. The Trojans eventually pulled within 13-10, but Hank recorded consecutive kills to give Delaware the dramatic victory.
I’m real proud of our effort and toughness tonight,” said Blue Hen head coach Bonnie Kenny. “We have played hard many times this season, but tonight we played hard and tough. We had excellent pin hitting. It is great to have four people in double digit digs! This was a good win against a good Troy team!”
• Six of Delaware’s 12 matches this year have gone five sets
• Katie Hillman went over the 400-kill mark for her career
• Hillman has led or tied for the team lead in kills during nine of the last 10 matches
• Megan Blunden reached double figure kills for the third time on the year
• Mackenzie Olsen eclipsed the 40-assist mark for the sixth time on the season
• Ariel Shonk has recorded at least 20 digs in eight of the last 10 matches
• Jill Meyers led UD with five blocks while Chandler Bryant added four
• Delaware faces Alabama at 10 a.m. and Clemson at 7 p.m. on Saturday at the Clemson Classic