February 13, 2013

File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
• Boxscore (HTML) / PDF

Athlete photoBOSTON, Mass. -- Jarvis Threatt hit a go-ahead three-pointer with 10 seconds left in overtime as the University of Delaware men's basketball team posted a 76-74 overtime victory over league-leading Northeastern Wednesday night at Matthews Arena.

The Blue Hens trailed by five points in overtime, but Jamelle Hagins converted a dunk in transition and Threatt hit two free throws with 1:04 left to bring the Blue Hens within a point. After the Huskies’ Jonathan Lee traveled, Delaware got the ball back with a chance to go in front. Following a time out, Threatt had the ball deep on the right wing with the shot clock winding down, and he buried a 24-foot jumper to put the Blue Hens up two. Northeastern called a time out with four seconds left, but Larry Savage then knocked a pass out of bounds with half a second to play. Lee then missed a last-ditch heave from 25 feet at the buzzer that fell way short of the basket.

Delaware won its third straight and sixth of seven as the Blue Hens improved to 14-12 overall and 9-4 in the Colonial Athletic Association. The Blue Hens, who had lost in six of their last seven meetings in Boston, also won for the ninth time in their last 11 conference road games. Northeastern, which had its four-game winning streak snapped, fell to 17-9 overall and 12-2 in league play.

Threatt finished with 20 points and six rebounds for the Blue Hens, while Devon Saddler added 18 points as he reached double figures for the 32nd straight game. Jamelle Hagins contributed 17 points on 7 of 8 shooting to go with game-highs of nine rebounds and four blocks.

Lee finished with 23 points and six rebounds for the Huskies, while Quincy Ford had 21 points and six boards. Northeastern played without Joel Smith, the fifth leading scorer in the league at 17.0 points per game, who was originally in the starting lineup but sat out the game with a sprained ankle.

Delaware shot 48.3 percent from the field, while holding the Huskies to just 40.0 percent from the floor. Delaware also held a 38-30 rebounding advantage over Northeastern.

“It was exciting game between two good teams battling each other all night long,” said seventh year Blue Hen head coach Monté Ross. “Our guys showed a lot of poise and toughness down the stretch. We were down five in overtime and our guys stayed with it, which shows a lot of toughness. We didn’t panic and were able to get some stops down the stretch.”

After Delaware scored five of the first six points of the game, Northeastern used an early 10-2 run and went ahead 11-7 on a David Walker three-pointer with 15:14 left in the opening half. However the Blue Hens answered with seven consecutive points, taking a 14-11 advantage at the 12:08 mark on a Threatt jumper.

Late in the half Delaware used an 8-2 spurt to take a seven-point advantage on a Threatt triple, before the Huskies’ Demetrius Pollard answered with a three-pointer to cut the Blue Hens’ advantage to 34-30 at the break.

Josh Brinkley opened the second half with a jumphook, but the Huskies responded with eight consecutive points to take their first lead since the early going at 40-38 on a Walker three-pointer.
Neither team would lead by more than three points over the next nine minutes, and although the Huskies went over seven minutes without a field goal they remained in front by hitting 13 consecutive free throws during the period.

The Blue Hens were down three before Brinkley hit a free throw and Saddler found Hagins for a dunk to knot the game at 58-58 with 6:40 to play. After two free throws by Threatt put UD in front, Lee answered with a layup to put Northeastern in front 65-64 with 3:24 left.

A Saddler free throw tied it at 1:47, and after a Pollard miss, Saddler misfired from three-point range with a minute to play. Zach Stahl scored inside on a layup with :33.9 seconds to play to put the Huskies up 67-65, but Saddler scored in the lane to tie the game at 67-67 with 13.1 seconds left. Lee then lost the ball on a drive, as the Blue Hens went to overtime for the second time this season.

Hagins opened the overtime scoring with a basket, but Lee hit a three-pointer to ignite a 7-0 Northeastern run that put the Huskies up 74-69 with 1:58 left. However the Blue Hens, who had squandered a five-point lead in the final minute during a loss in Boston last year, scored the final seven points of the game to pull out the victory.