Delaware Women’s Basketball Nabs Fifth Straight Win with 69-44 Victory over Howard at UCF Thanksgiving Classic
ORLANDO, Fla. – The University of Delaware women’s basketball team wrapped up the University of Central Florida Thanksgiving Classic Sunday with a 69-44 win over Howard University at CFE Arena.
The Blue Hens (6-1) held Howard (2-5) to five field goals in the first half, including keeping the Bison without a field goal for an 11-minute span. In total, UD outshot HU, 45.2 percent (14-31) to 18.5 percent (5-27) in the first stanza.
The Delaware defense continued to be strong into the second half, allowing just seven Bison field goals. Over the final seven minutes of the game, Howard scored just three points, all off of free throws.
For the second straight game, the Delaware senior class posted a strong showing as senior Kelsey Buchanan (South Riding, Va.) led all scorers with 19 points while classmate Akeema Richards (Baltimore, Md.) added nine points and a team-best 10 rebounds and five assists. Buchanan also tallied nine rebounds and three assists in the win.
Shavonne Duckett and Victoria Gonzalez each collected 12 points for Howard.
Head Coach Tina Martin – “I thought we played very sound, fundamental defense today. We really took Howard out of everything they wanted to do and because of our defense, they really struggled. Overall, I thought this was one of our better games since Wake Forest that we actually played team defense and rotated. We had a little hiccup here and there, but I was much happier how we defended today.
Senior Kelsey Buchanan – “Success all starts on the defensive end. Just being focused and working hard will eliminate their chances for scoring.”
· Delaware held Howard without a field goal in the first half for 11-plus minutes (16:15-4:51). The Bison finished the half with just five field goals.
· UD has had at least three players score in double figures in all six wins this year.
· The Hens have won five straight games and are 4-0 away from the Bob Carpenter Center.
· Kelsey Buchanan has scored double figures in all seven games this season.
· Akeema Richards collected a season-best 10 rebounds in the win.
· The Blue Hens are now off for two weeks for final exams.
· Sunday, Dec. 15 – Delaware at Princeton – 2 p.m. – Jadwin Gym (Princeton, N.J.)
· Friday, Dec. 20 – Delaware vs. Youngstown State (at Lehigh Christmas City Classic) – 5 p.m. – Stabler Arena (Bethlehem, Pa.)
· Saturday, Dec. 21 – Delaware vs. Lehigh or Vermont (at Lehigh Christmas City Classic) – Time TBA – Stabler Arena (Bethlehem, Pa.)