Blue Hens Women’s Basketball Opens 2013-14 Season at Rhode Island with 5 p.m. Contest Friday
NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware women’s basketball team will kick off the 2013-14 campaign Friday at 5 p.m. as the Blue Hens travel to Rhode Island.
Live stats for Friday’s game will be available via www.GoRhody.com.
· Delaware is coming off of the most historic season in program history as the No. 15 Blue Hens finished with a 32-4 record while going undefeated in the CAA for the second straight season en route to back-to-back titles. Additionally, UD advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the first time in school history.
· The Blue Hens will field 11 freshmen and sophomores this season with just three juniors and seniors. The returning Blue Hens combined for a total of 1,505 minutes (20.8 percent), 383 points (15.8 percent) and 269 rebounds (7.5 percent) last season.
· Delaware is 22-20 all-time in season openers, including nine straight victories. The Hens have not started a season on the road since the 2009-10 season, when UD defeated St. Francis (Pa.), 77-64, in Loretto.
· For more game notes, please click here.
· Delaware leads Rhode Island, 3-1, in the all-time series.
· URI won the first match, 58-55, during the 1985-86 season, but UD has bounced back with three straight victories.
· Last season, UD traveled to Rhody and picked up a 57-40 win at the Ryan Center. Then-senior Lauren Carra tallied a double double of 20 points and 13 rebounds in the win.
· UD head coach Tina Martin is in her 18th season with Delaware and currently holds a 341-181 (.653) all-time record. She is 2-0 over URI.
· Martin has garnered three conference Coach of the Year awards and led the Hens to 10 post-season appearances.
· Rhode Island head coach Cathy Inglese is in her fifth season with the Rams and 27th season overall as a head coach.
· Inglese holds a record of 416-345 (.547) overall and is 23-92 during her time at URI.