2012-13 Women's Basketball Sweet 16 Team Returns to the Bob as Blue Hens Host Wake Forest Friday
NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware women’s basketball team will welcome back the 2012-13 CAA Champion and NCAA Sweet 16 team Friday evening as the Blue Hens host Wake Forest at 8 p.m.
UD will honor the 2012-13 squad with the unveiling of the championship banner. Additionally, former Blue Hen standout Elena Delle Donne will be presented with the Honda Collegiate Women Sports Award during halftime.
Tonight’s game will be streamed online for free via Hens All-Access on www.BlueHens.com.
All Delaware women’s basketball games this season can be heard on the radio at 1290 The Ticket or 1410 WDOV. Matt Janus has the call for the Hens while Christine Motta serves as a color analyst. Fans can also hear the broadcast online at http://www.iheart.com/live/1290-The-Ticket-473/ and on smart devices via the iHeart app.
Live stats for tonight’s game will be available via www.BlueHens.com.
Tickets are available via www.BlueHens.com, by calling 302-831-2257 and at the Bob Carpenter Center ticket office. Delaware students are always free with a valid UD ID.
A 2012-13 Season Commemorative poster (compliments of the University of Delaware Courtyard by Marriott) will be given away to the first 2,000 fans in attendance.
· Delaware is 196-78 (.715) all-time at the Bob Carpenter Center.
· The Blue Hens had won 23 straight regular season games before losing to Temple on Tuesday. UD had not lost a regular season contest since December 20, 2012 when Delaware fell to then ninth-ranked Maryland, 53-69.
· In Tuesday's loss to Temple, Delaware saw two more players experience career days as both Kelsey Buchanan and Shanice Johnson picked up their first career double doubles. Additionally, Johnson recorded bests of 14 points and 12 rebounds while Buchanan's 10 rebounds were a career-high.
· For more game notes, please click here.
· The two teams are tied at 1-1 in the all-time series.
· The series has never taken place in Newark.
· Delaware won the last meeting, 70-57, in Winston-Salem during the 2011-12 season.
· The first matchup between the two teams came on December 9, 1989 when the Deacons pulled out a 63-62 victory in the Tobacco Roads Classic.
· UD head coach Tina Martin is in her 18th season with Delaware and currently holds a 342-182 (.653) all-time record.
· Martin is 1-0 against the Deacons.
· Martin has garnered three conference Coach of the Year awards and led the Hens to 10 post-season appearances.
· Wake Forest head coach Jen Hoover is in her second season with the Deacons. She is 34-33 (.507) all-time and has never faced the Blue Hens.