Hens Open Postseason WNIT at Rutgers Thursday
Delaware (20-10) at Rutgers (22-9)
DATE: Thursday, March 20, 2014
TIME: 7 p.m.
LOCATION: Rutgers Athletics Center - Piscataway, N.J.
Thursday's game will be streamed for free at www.ScarletKnights.com.
All Delaware women’s basketball games this season can be heard on the radio at 1290 The Ticket or 1410 WDOV. Matt Janus has the call for the Hens while Christine Motta serves as a color analyst. Fans can also hear the broadcast online at http://www.iheart.com/live/1290-The-Ticket-473/ and on smart devices via the iHeart app.
Live stats will be available via www.ScarletKnights.com.
· Delaware returns to postseason play for the fifth straight season and plays in the WNIT for the first time since 2011.
· The Blue Hens earned their seventh berth into the WNIT after finishing second in CAA regular season play and falling to James Madison in the CAA title game.
· For complete game notes, please click here.
· Delaware and Rutgers have previously faced off just twice in women’s basketball history with both meetings coming in postseason play.
· The Hens defeated the Scarlet Knights, 97-56, on March 12, 1976 in the EAIAW Regionals. The following season, No. 8 RU edged UD, 78-75, in the EAIAW Regionals on March 11, 1977.
· UD head coach Tina Martin is in her 18th season with Delaware and currently holds a 361-191 (.654) all-time record. She is the active winningest coach in the CAA.
· Martin has never faced Rutgers.
· Martin has garnered three conference Coach of the Year awards and led the Hens to 10 post-season appearances.
· A Hall of Famer, C. Vivian Stringer is in her 19th season at Rutgers and 43rd season overall as a head coach.
· Stringer has compiled a remarkable overall record of 923-341 (.730), which ranks third on the Division I women’s victories list and second among active coaches. In 2013, Stringer became just the seventh coach – men’s or women’s – to reach the 900-win mark and her 32 20-win seasons are second-best in women’s basketball history.
· Stringer is 4-2 all-time vs. Delaware as she faced the Hens when she was the head coach at Cheyney State during the 1970s.