NEWARK, Del.  -- The University of Delaware fought back to take the lead midway through the final quarter, but Saint Joseph’s scored the final four goals of the game, including two in a span of just 38 seconds, to down the Blue Hens 12-9 in a non-league men’s lacrosse game Saturday afternoon at Delaware Stadium.

While the Blue Hens dropped their second straight game, the win was another historic one for Saint Joseph’s as the Hawks downed Delaware for the first time ever in 14 tries and for the first time in six visits to Newark. Saint Joseph’s (9-3), whose nine wins are the most in program history since 2000, was coming off a 9-7 win over No. 12 Bryant last Saturday that was the team’s first-ever over a ranked team.

Delaware (6-7) trailed the entire game until midway through the final quarter when redshirt freshman Steve DeLargy capped a four-goal run on a goal with 6:41 left to put the Hens up 9-8.

But the lead would be short-lived as the Hawks came right back on a goal by Michael Rastivo with 5:05 left to tie the game and then went up for good just 38 seconds later when Roy Vandegrift tallied with 4:27 left. Two goals by Saint Joseph’s in the final minute preserved the win.

“Saint Joseph’s is having a good year,” said Delaware head coach Bob Shillinglaw. “I felt that there were moments today where we played extremely well and some where we didn’t have the edge or the effort and didn’t have the execution that we needed. They (SJU) are on a roll and they played all four quarters with that edge.”

Senior Dan Keane led the Blue Hens once again as he tallied a team-high three goals and dished out an assist. The Ontario, Canada native has now scored 12 goals in his last three games and he became the first UD player to record three straight hat tricks since All-American Curtis Dickson posted six straight three-plus goal games in 2010.

DeLargy and Tom  Holland each added two goals for the Blue Hens while Beau Jones scored a goal and dished out three assists, Jackson Finigan had a goal and an assist, and Brian Kormondy dished out two assists. Tyler Barbarich, who ranks No. 10 nationally in faceoff winning percentage, dominated on faceoffs as he won 16 of 21 attempts.

Saint Joseph’s, which has now won three straight games and eight of its last nine, got three goals from Anthony Joaquim while Rastivo, Mike Dougherty, and Pat Swanick each scored twice. Vandegrift and Johnny Simanski also had a goal and assist while Ryan McGee dished out three assists. Goalkeeper T.J. Jones recorded 12 saves.

Delaware lost despite outshooting the Hawks 37-28, holding a 33-23 advantage on groundballs, and winning 17 of 24 faceoffs.

Saint Joseph’s jumped out to a 5-2 lead after the first quarter and took a 7-4 lead into halftime when Dougherty scored with less than one second remaining before the break. But Delaware mounted an impressive second half comeback as Holland and Keane scored in the final eight minutes of the third quarter to narrow the deficit to 8-7 headed into the final stanza.

The Hens then tied it up for the first time on a goal by Finigan just 1:22 into the final quarter and DeLargy followed with a goal off a feed from Kormondy with 6:41 left to play to give Delaware its first and only lead at 9-8. Saint Joseph’s then followed with its four-goal flurry to win the game.

Delaware will return to Colonial Athletic Association action next Saturday when the Blue Hens travel to Penn State for a 1 p.m. start.