Homepage Photo: Jeff Heath (#32)

NEWARK, Del. -- University of Delaware senior attackman Dan Keane had a big day with a career-high five goals, but the Blue Hens could never catch up after falling behind 8-0 and dropped a 15-9 decision to Ohio State Sunday afternoon at Delaware Stadium.

The Blue Hens (6-6), coming off a 10-5 win at Manhattan on Tuesday that broke a three-game losing streak, could not keep the momentum going as Ohio State (4-6)  scored five goals in the final 5:32 of the first quarter and eventually led 10-2 at halftime. Delaware outscored Ohio State 7-5 in the second half but it wasn’t enough to complete a comeback.

Keane, a senior from Elora, Ontario, scored five straight goals to pull Delaware to within 14-9 with 1:49 left to play, but the Hens could never get closer as the Buckeyes won their second straight game.

The game was played before a season-high crowd of 1,050 as Delaware celebrated Armed Forces Day and honored the 1984 Blue Hen NCAA Tournament team that gathered this weekend for its 30th anniversary.

Keane recorded his second straight hat trick and seventh of his career for Delaware while Brian Kormondy scored two goals, Jeff Heath had a goal and an assist, and Beau Jones and Jackson Finigan each dished out two assists.

Jesse King enjoyed a huge day for Ohio State as he dished out a Delaware Stadium-record seven assists and also scored a goal. Ryan Hunter, Reegan Comeault, David Planning, Chris Brown, and JT. Blubaugh each scored twice in a balanced effort.

The game was even statistically as Ohio State held slim advantages in shots (39-37) and groundballs (34-33) but the Buckeyes had five less turnovers (15-10) than the  Blue Hens.

A bright spot for the Hens came at the faceoff spot where sophomore Tyler Mardian (above) split time with UD starter Taylor Barbarich and won 8 of 12 attempts. In addition, Conor Peaks made nine stops for the Blue Hens.

Hunter scored the first goal of the game just over four minutes in for a 1-0 Buckeye lead and Ohio State turned it on by scoring five times over the final 5:32 of the opening stanza to take a 6-0 advantage. Ohio State scored the first two goals of the second quarter to go up 8-0 before the Hens finally got on the board on a goal by Heath with 11:07 left in the half. King scored with just two seconds left in the stanza to send OSU into halftime up 10-2.

Ohio State pushed the lead to 12-2 in the third quarter and still led by 10 goals before Keane got hot Delaware, scoring the final goal of the third quarter and netting the first four goals of the final stanza to cut the lead to 14-9.

Delaware will return to action this Saturday, Apr. 12 when the Blue Hens host former Colonial Athletic Association foe Saint Joseph’s at 1 p.m. at Delaware Stadium as part of Cancer Awareness Day.