Zelenky Lifts Blue Hens Women's Soccer to 2-1 Win Over Seton Hall
NEWARK, Del. -– University of Delaware freshman forward Natalie Zelenky (bottom right) helped the Blue Hen women's soccer team earn its third straight home victory Sunday afternoon as she scored with just 2:21 left to play to send UD to a 2-1 victory at Delaware Mini-Stadium.
Zelenky broke a 1-1 tie with her game-winner as the Hens improved to 3-4 on the season. Seton Hall fell to 1-5-2 on the campaign.
The Blue Hens scored the opening goal of the contest in the 54th minute when captain Shannon Kearney crossed a pass from the right of the box to classmate Chelsea Duffy (bottom left) who fired a shot passed the Seton Hall keeper for her first goal of the season. The assist was the first of the season for Kearney.
Less than 10 minutes later, the Pirates tallied a score of their own off a free kick by Marie Klemme that sailed into the top left corner of the net to tie the match, 1-1.
In the 87th minute, it was Zelenky who tallied the game-winning goal after a pass from fellow freshman
Senior goalkeeper Jessica Levy earned the win for Delaware stopping four of the five shots she faced in 90 minutes of action.
“Today was a great win against an excellent team. The girls played hard and earned the result. It was great to see Chelsea score her first goal of the season and then have two of our freshmen combine for the game-winner. This week we need to continue to work hard and prepare for next weekends games.”
- Head Coach Scott Grzenda
- Zelenky and Kearney now lead the Blue Hens with five points each
- Brosler’s assist is the second of her freshman campaign
- Delaware now owns a 3-1-2 overall record over Seton Hall
- Five of the Blue Hens’ seven goals this season have come in the second half
- Delaware led Seton Hall in corner kicks, 6-1
- The Blue Hens return to the pitch Friday, Sept. 13 when they host LIU Brooklyn at 7 p.m.