National Girls and Women in Sports Day - Sunday, Feb. 3
Join us on Sunday, February 3 as the University of Delaware celebrates National Girls and Women in Sports Day (NGWSD). NGWSD started in 1987 as a single event in Washington, D.C. to honor Olympic volleyball star Flo Hyman. Since then the day has grown into a nationwide celebration across all 50 states. The day can always be attributed back to the work Hyman did as an athlete and for her work to assure equality for women's sports. Hyman died of Marfan's Syndrome in 1986 while competing in a volleyball tournament in Japan. Since then, NGWSD has become a day to acknowledge the past accomplishments of female athletes and recognizing current sports achievements of women in sports.
Pregame Youth Sports Clinic (Delaware Field House)
10 a.m. to 12 noon
- FREE and open to all Blue Hen females 5-12 years of age. All participants must register in advance. Day of registration will not be available.
- Event kick-off by 2012 CAA Women's Basketball Coach of the Year, Tina Martin.
- Interactive sports fun with UD Women’s Athletics & Recreation student-athletes and coaches.
- Poster-making for the game during check-in from 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Register and receive a FREE
game ticket to the 2/3 women’s
basketball game following the clinic. Additional tickets just $5 each.
- No equipment needed by participants, however, comfortable athletic attire and sneakers are strongly recommended.
Online Registration: registration is full and closed.
Fax Registration: registration is full and closed.
One registration form per youth is required. Space is LIMITED and will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. All participants must register in advance. Day of registration will not be available.
NOTE: If you register online and indicate that you need additional tickets, someone from Athletics Marketing will gladly contact you for payment information. Please call 302-831-8961 with any questions.
UD Women’s Basketball Game (The BOB) at 2 p.m.
- Gameday Sponsor: Bringing Hope Home
- Root on the Blue Hens in the CAA women's basketball rivalry action between Delaware and Hofstra.
- Family Fun Zone: Be sure to visit the concourse behind Sections 11-14 from 12:30 to 2 p.m. during pregame to enjoy interactive games and fun for all ages!
- T's for 3's: Watch out for flying t-shirts each time the Blue Hens sink a 3-pointer. The “Tee For Three” shirts are presented by First State Orthopaedics, taking care of Delaware with a commitment to excellence. First State Orthopaedics; Leaders in our community.
- In-game promotions featuring PNC Bank, McDonald's, and the Delaware Lottery.
- Doors open at 12:30 p.m. Tip-off at 2 p.m.