Blue Hens Battle Hard in Virginia Finale but Fall to James Madison 4-3
April 1, 2011
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. - - Playing their final game of their Virginia road trip, the Blue Hens of the University of Delaware battled tough, but were edged out by a narrow 4-3 gap against James Madison University in Colonial Athletic Association men’s tennis action Friday afternoon.
The Blue Hens, who slip to 6-5 overall and 1-3 in the CAA, picked up the doubles point, getting wins from the second and third flights during play at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center on the campus of Old Dominion University.
In the two spot, Courtney Scott and Chris Hincker finished first, earning an 8-4 win over Ryan Pool and Matt King. Ryan Kent (at right) and Robbie Kay moved with one win of tying the doubles team wins in a season mark of 18. The Blue Hen pair won their 17th match this season, knocking out Florent Sentenac and Yaroslav Vozenko 8-5.
The Delaware partnership will have a chance to go for the record on April 6 when the Hens return home to face the University of Pennsylvania. Action will begin at 4 p.m. at the Delaware Field House Tennis Courts. This will be a match that was rescheduled from Feb. 22.
In the singles action, Troy Beneck needed a tiebreak and an extra set to collect a win in the second flight. Earning his 12th singles win this season, Beneck defeated Bertrand Moulin 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-4.
Kent picked up the last Blue Hen point of the afternoon in the sixth flight. Kent also earned his 12th win of 2010-11, defeating Yaroslav Voznenko 6-3, 6-4.
1. Greg Vladimirsky (JMU) def. Courtney Scott (UD) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Bertrand Moulin (UD) 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-4
3. Florent Sentenac (JMU) def. Andre Vorobyov (UD) 6-4, 6-4
4. Ryan Pool (JMU) def. Chris Hincker (UD) 6-0, 6-1
5. Jovan Milic (JMU) def. Jeff Marshall (UD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Ryan Kent (UD) def. Yaroslav Voznenko (JMU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Vladimirsky/Moulin (JMU) def. Beneck/Vorobyov (UD) 8-4
2. Scott/hincker (UD) def. Pool/Matt King (JMU) 8-4
3. Kent/Robbie Kay (UD) def. Sentenac/Vozenko (JMU) 8-5
Back To Men's Tennis Home Men's Tennis Story Archive