University of Delaware Netters Return to Winning Ways, Edge Host Fairfield 4-3
March 12, 2011
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- The University of Delaware men’s tennis squad won for the fourth time in five outings this spring as the Blue Hens captured four of the six singles match and moved on to a 4-3 non-league win over host Fairfield Saturday afternoon.
Delaware bounced back from its first dual loss of the season as the Blue Hens got wins from Courtney Scott, Troy Beneck (at right), Jeff Marshall, and Ryan Kent in singles action to improve to 4-1 on the year. Fairfield fell to 5-3 on the season.
Beneck was the Hens’ only double winner on the day as he defeated Joe Michalisin 6-4, 6-0 at No. 2 singles and then teamed with Andre Vorobyov for an 8-3 win over Fairfield’s Dennis Zlobinsky and Reece Breault at the No. 2 spot.
Fairfield earned the doubles point as the Stags won at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. At No. 3, the team of Dan Sauter and Bjorn Merinder won 8-6 and handed the Hen duo of Robert Kay and Ryan Kent only their third loss in 19 outings this season.
Scott improved to a team-best 12-3 this season as he downed Dan Sauter 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot. Jeff Marshall also won at the No. 4 spot and Kent was a winner at the No. 6 flight for the Hens, who improved to 75-36 in singles this season.
Delaware will return to action March 17 at Temple.
Delaware def. Fairfield, 4-3
1. Courtney Scott (D), def. Dan Sauter, 6-4, 6-3
2. Troy Beneck (D), def. Joe Michalisin, 6-4, 6-0
3. Dennis Zlobinsky (F), def. Andre Vorobyov, 2-6, 6-3, 10-1
4. Mark Kremheller (F), def. Chris Hincker, 6-3, 6-3
5. Jeff Marshall (D), def. Rob Ferrante, 7-6 (10), 6-1
6. Ryan Kent (D), def. Reece Breault, 6-4, 6-2.
1. Michalisin-Kremheller (F), def. Scott-Hincker, 8-5
2. Beneck-Vorobyov (D), def. Zlobinsky-Breault, 8-3
3. Sauter-Bjorn Merinder (F), def. Kent-Robert Kay, 8-6.