Blue Hens Tripped Up on The Road Against Temple 5-2
March 17, 2011
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
PHILADELPHIA – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team was tripped up Thursday afternoon, falling to the Atlantic 10’s Temple University 5-2. Chris Hincker moved one win closer to the all-time singles wins record with his fourth-flight victory.
Hincker (at right) picked up his 66th career win, bringing home a 6-4, 6-4 win over Stanislav Stekolshikov. Hincker, who is second all-time at Delaware (4-2), needs just four wins to tie the 70-38 mark set by Austin Longacre from 2006-10.
The only other Blue Hen victory on the afternoon was Troy Beneck in the second flight. Beneck cruised past Kacper Rams 6-3, 6-1.
In the first flight, Courtney Scott won his second set against Filip Rams, but could not put together the comeback, falling 6-3 in the first set and 6-2 in the third. Andre Vorobyov forced a tiebreaker in the second flight of his third-flight match, but fell 6-0, 7-6 (3).
Jeff Marshall went three sets in the fifth flight, winning the first 6-4, but Mansur Fishkaev won the second and third 6-3, 10-4. Robbie Kent fell 6-2, 7-6 (6) in the sixth flight.
In doubles, Beneck and Vorobyov picked up the lone Blue Hen victory, getting past Filip Rams and Andrey Morozov 8-4.
Delaware returns to the court on Sunday when it opens Colonial Athletic Association action against the Pride of Hofstra University. The opening match is slated for 1 p.m. at the Hofstra Tennis Center.
Temple Def. Delaware 5-2
1) Filip Rams (TU) def. Courtney Scott (UD) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
2) Troy Beneck (UD) def. Kacper Rams (TU) 6-3, 6-1
3) Dmitry Vuzhunov (TU) def. Andre Vorobyov (UD) 6-0, 7-6 (3)
4) Chris Hincker (UD) def. Stanislav Stekolshikov (TU) 6-4,6-4
5) Mansur Gishkaev (TU) def. Jeff Marshall (UD) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
6) Taylor Hairston (TU) def. Robbie Kent (UD) 6-2, 7-6 (6)
1) Beneck/Vorobyov (UD) def. F. Rams/Andrey Morozov (TU) 8-4
2) Gishkaev/Hairston (TU) def. Scott/Hincker (UD) 8-5
3) Vuzhunov/K. Rams (TU) def. Kent/Kay (UD) 8-4