Delaware Men’s Tennis Falls to VCU, 7-0, in CAA Play
March 26, 2011
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. - - The University of Delaware men’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to the defending Colonial Athletic Association champions Virginia Commonwealth University at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center on the campus of Old Dominion, on Saturday afternoon.
Andre Vorobyov retired in the third set, but was the only single’s player to record a set victory against the powerhouse Rams. The match was knotted at 1-1 (3-6, 6-1) against Jaime Vasquez before retiring prior to the third set, giving Vasquez the win.
Troy Benneck (above right) took the second game of his matchup to a tiebreak against Max Wennakoski, the CAA Men’s Singles Player of the Week, but fell 2-6 and 7-6 (5) at the second flight.
The number one doubles matchup was the most intriguing of the afternoon, as Beneck and Vorobyov nearly defeated Vasquez and Camill Salomon. The game needed a tiebreak, but the Blue Hens duo fell 7-8 (5).
Delaware falls to 5-3 overall and took their first loss in CAA matches, dropping to 1-1 in conference. The Rams (17-3, 2-0 CAA) are ranked 56th by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) and have now won 10 straight matches.
The Blue Hens are back in action on Monday, March 28 as they battle CAA foe Old Dominion in Norfolk, starting at 2 p.m.
1. Tim Johannsen def. Courtney Scott, 6-2, 6-0
2. Max Wennakoski def. Troy Beneck 6-2, 7-6 (5)
3. Jaime Vasquez def. Andre Vorobyov 3-6, 6-1, (ret).
4. Antoine Baroz def. Chris Hincker 6-3, 6-2
5. Camill Salomon def. Jeff Marshall 6-4, 6-2
6. Alejandro Argente def. Ryan Kent 6-4, 6-3
1. Vasquez/Salomon def. Beneck/Vorobyov 8-7 (5)
2. Johannsen/Baroz def. Scott/Kent 8-3
3. Wennakoski/Svennson def. Hincker/Kay 8-3
Back To Men's Tennis Home Men's Tennis Story Archive