Old Dominion Denies Men's Team, Cools Off Women for the Sweep
March 28, 2011
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. - - The University of Delaware men’s and women’s tennis teams opened a week-long trip in Virginia, taking on the Monarchs of Old Dominion University Monday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center.
Both Blue Hen squads battled tough, but the men's team nabbed just one victory, falling 6-1 while the women’s team fell 7-0.
On the men’s side, Delaware was denied its second ever win over Old Dominion, who improved to 16-7 in 2010-11 and are now 8-1 all-time against the Hens.
Jeff Marshall (at right) earned the lone Delaware point, picking up a 3-6, 6-2 (10-8) victory in the fifth flight over Fahoum Fahoum. Delaware’s Ryan Kent gave Alfredo Rodriguez all he could handle, but the Monarch pulled out a 7-6, 6-1 win in the sixth flight.
Delaware, now 5-3, was held without a point in the doubles matches. Troy Beneck and Andre Vorobyov forced Tobias Fanselow and Krzysztof Muzalewski to an extra point, but fell 9-7.
The women’s side, winners of their last three matches and are 6-2 this year, fell to the Monarchs, who improved to 10-7 on the season and remain unbeaten against Delaware, holding a 6-0 advantage. This marked just the third time the Hens and Monarchs have met in the regular season, having met on three other occasions in the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.
In the third flight of doubles action, Ivana Petrich and Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom picked up Delaware’s lone win, getting by Margarita Belyakova 8-6.
Megan Doran and Samantha Carnall fell in the first flight 8-5 versus Joanna Dobrowolska and Melissa Esnal Olguin. In the second flight, Dorothy Safron and Montse Ripoll pushed the second flight duo of Dianna Ivanova and Juliana Pires, but the Monarch pair prevailed 8-6.
Petrich forced a tiebreaker in the fourth flight of singles play, falling in the first set 6-2 against Pires. Petrich bounced back with a 6-3 win in the second set. Pires got the point with a 10-8 tiebreak win.
Both Delaware squads will have an opportunity to bounce back tomorrow when they take on Norfolk State at noon. The matches will be played at the NSU Tennis Complex.
Old Dominion University 6, University of Delaware 1
1. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Courtney Scott (UD) 6-3, 6-4
2. Benjamin Chomette (ODU) def. Troy Beneck (UD) 6-2, 6-4
3. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) def. Andre Vorobyov (UD) 6-2, 6-4
4. Albert Ochagavia (ODU) def. Chris Hincker (UD) 6-4, 7-5
5. Jeff Marshall (UD) def. Fahoum Fahoum (ODU) 3-6, 6-2, (10-3)
6. Alfredo Rodriguez (ODU) def. Ryan Kent (UD) 7-6, 6-1
1. Fanselow/Muzalewski (ODU) def. Beneck/Vorobyov (UD) 9-7
2. Ochagavia/Rodriguez (ODU) def. Scott/Hincker (UD) 8-6
3. Chomette/Fahoum (ODU) def. Kent/Kay (UD) 8-2
Old Dominion University 7, University of Delaware 0
1. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Megan Doran (UD) 6-2, 6-2
2. Diana Ivanova (ODU) def. Dorothy Safron (UD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU) def. Samantha Carnall (UD) 6-0, 6-2
4. Juliana Pires (ODU) def. Ivana Petrich (UD) 6-2, 3-6, (10-8)
5. Margarita Belyakova (ODU) def. Olivia Heim (UD) 6-0, 6-1
6. Nika Khmolovska (ODU) def. Montse Ripoll (UD) 6-3, 6-0
1. Dobrowolska/Esnal Olguin (ODU) def. Doran/Carnall (UD) 8-5
2. Ivanova/Pires (ODU) def. Safron/Ripoll (UD) 8-6
3. Petrich/Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Belyakova/Khmolovska (ODU) 8-6
Back To Men's Tennis Home Men's Tennis Story Archive