Men’s Tennis Opens Day One of Lehigh Invitational With Six Wins
October 15, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
BETHLEHEM, Pa. --Battling strong winds all day in the Lehigh Valley, the University of Delaware men’s tennis team picked up six wins during day one of the Lehigh University Invitational Saturday afternoon.
The non-team scoring event took place at the Lewis Tennis Center/Ulrich Varsity Courts. Delaware drew Bucknell University for the first round of action, featuring eight singles and four doubles matches.
Delaware opened the top flights with a pair of wins as Troy Beneck knocked off Gregg Cohenca 6-3, 6-4 and Blue Hen newcomer Adam Lawton (at right) needed extra sets to claim a 4-6, 6-4, 10-8 victory against Evan Zimmer.
The Hens enjoyed another pair of singles victories in the fifth and seventh flight. In the No. 5 singles, Nolan Gelman picked up an extra-set win 6-3, 2-6, 10-3 against Kyle Rosen. In the seventh flight, Jason Derene defeated Gregory Maxson 6-3, 3-6, 10-8.
Several Hens fought hard, pushing their matches to extra sets, including Andre Vorobyov in the No. 3 flight. The Delaware senior dropped a 6-3, 5-7, 10-3 decision against Bucknell’s Octavio Canibe. In the fourth flight, Ryan Kent was edged out 5-7, 6-1, 10-5.
Delaware notched two doubles wins as Beneck and Lawton paired up to win 8-6 over Cohenca and Zimmer. The final Blue Hen win of the day came 8-3 as Gelman and Derene defeated Tortora and Rosen.
The Hens return to Lehigh’s Lewis Tennis Center/Ulrich Varsity Courts on Sunday to conclude the invitational. Action will take place all day.
Delaware vs. Bucknell – No Team Scoring
1) Troy Beneck (UD) def. Gregg Cohenca (BU) 6-3, 6-4
2) Adam Lawton (UD) def. Evan Zimmer (BU) 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
3) Octavio Canibe (BU) def. Andre Vorobyov (UD) 6-3, 5-7 10-3
4) Josh Katten (BU) def. Ryan Kent (BU) 5-7, 6-1, 10-5
5) Nolan Gelman (UD) def. Kyle Rosen (BU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-3
6) Kelly Morque (BU) def. Evan Andrews (UD) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
7) Jason Derene (UD) def. Gregory Maxson (BU) 6-3, 3-6, 10-8
8) Chris Tortora (BU) def. Ian LeBlanc (BU) 6-4, 6-4
1) Beneck/Lawton (UD) def. Cohenca /Zimmer (BU) 8-6
2) Katten/Morque (BU) def. Kent/Vorobyov (UD) 8-5
3) Derene/Gelman (UD) def. Tortora/Rosen (BU) 8-3
4) Kaneba/Maxon (BU) def. Andrews/LeBlanc (UD) 9-7