Men’s Tennis Collects Six More Wins to Conclude Lehigh Invitational
October 16, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
BETHLEHEM, Pa. --After winning six matches on Saturday, the University of Delaware men’s tennis team nabbed another six wins to finish play at the Lehigh Invitational on Sunday.
In the final day of the non-team scoring event, played at the Lewis Tennis Center/Ulrich Varsity Courts, Delaware squared off with the host institution, Lehigh.
The Hens picked up four of their wins in singles action, paced by Adam Lawton’s 6-1, 6-4 victory in the first flight against Matt Savran. Andre Vorobyov (at right) got his No. 3 win against Lehigh’s Ben Gilman with a 6-3, 7-6 win.
In the No. 5 singles, Jason Derene picked up an extra set, extra point victory, edging out Dan Goldblum 3-6, 6-3, 12-0. Evan Andrews rounded out the singles victories in 6-3, 6-1 fashion over Edgars Rauza in the sixth flight.
Doubles saw the Hens win two more times with Lawton and Troy Beneck winning the No. 1 flight 8-5 over hosts Gilman and Sarvan. In the third doubles flight, Andrews and Ryan Kent squeezed past Lehigh’s Goldblum and Timur Chernykh.
The Hens will wrap up the fall portion of their schedule this weekend when the team heads to Charlottesville, Va. to compete in ITA Regionals. Action begins on Oct. 20 and runs through Oct. 23.
Day Two – No Team Scoring
Delaware vs. Lehigh
1) Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Troy Beneck (UD) 6-1, 6-2
2) Adam Lawton (UD) def. Matt Sarvan (LU) 6-1, 6-4
3) Andre Vorobyov (UD) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-3, 7-6
4) Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Nolan Gelman (UD) 7-6, 7-6
5) Jason Derene (UD) def. Dan Goldblum (LU) 3-6, 6-3, 12-10
6) Evan Andrews (UD) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-3, 6-1
1) Beneck/Lawton (UD) def. Gilman/Sarvan (LU) 8-5
2) Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Vorobyov/Gelman (UD) 8-3
3) Kent/Andrews (UD) def. Goldblum/Chernykh (LU) 8-5