University of Delaware Men’s Tennis Drops 4-3 Marathon to Richmond in Spring Opener
January 29, 2012
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
• Photo Gallery
BETHANY BEACH, Del. -- In a contest that took six hours to decide, the University of Delaware men’s tennis squad took the University of Richmond to the final match of the day before falling 4-3 in non-league action at the Sea Colony Tennis Courts.
Delaware’s Nolan Gelman and Richmond’s Aaron Wicker battled at No. 4 singles in the final match before Wicker survived with a 6-7, 6-2, 7-5 decision to clinch the win for the Spiders (1-4).
Delaware, playing its first dual meet of the season and competing for the first time since Oct. 20-23, picked up two victories in singles and two wins in doubles during the competition.
The Blue Hens took the point in doubles play as they won two of the three matches. Delaware’s Troy Beneck and Adam Lawton defeated Ethan Dunbar and Sebastien Fauchet 8-6 at the No. 1 spot while Andre Vorobyov and Ryan Kent downed Paul Nahon and Dylan Trent 9-7 at the No. 3 position.
In singles action, Delaware got victories from Beneck and Vorobyov. Beneck defeated Dunbar 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot while Vorobyov downed Fauchet 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 3 singles.
Delaware will return to action Feb. 12 when both the Blue Hen men and women travel to Lehigh.
Richmond def. Delaware, 4-3
1. Troy Beneck, D, def. Ethan Dunbar, 6-4, 6-2
2. Jesse Feder, R, def. Adam Lawton, 7-5, 6-3
3. Andre Vorobyov, D, def. Sebastien Fauchet, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Aaron Wicker, R, def. Nolan Gelman, 6-7, 6-2, 7-5
5. Dylan Trent, R, def. Ryan Kent, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Paul Nahon, R, def. Evan Andrews, 6-1, 6-2
1. Beneck/Lawton, D, def. Dunbar/Fauchet, 8-6
2. Feder/Wicker def. Gelman/Derene, 9-8
3. Vorobyov/Kent, def. Nahon/Trent, 9-7
Back To Men's Tennis Home Men's Tennis Story Archive