University of Delaware Men's Netters Drop 6-1 Decision at Navy, Snap Two-Match Win Steak
March 3, 2012
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis team snapped a two-match win steak as the Blue Hens dropped a 6-1 decision to Navy in non-conference action at the Tose Family Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
The Blue Hens, who fell to 2-3 on the season, came up short against the Mids for the third consecutive season after falling to Navy 4-3 each of the last two seasons.
The lone Blue Hen point came from a singles victory at the No. 2 spot from sophomore Adam Lawton, who defeated Navy’s Peter McDonald 6-2, 7-6.
Picking up singles victories for Navy were Marcus Rebersak at No. 1, Calvin Mark at No. 3, Tyler Burnett at No. 4, Blake Daniel at No. 5, and Nicholas Gutsche at No. 6.
In doubles play, freshman Evan Andrews and sophomore Nolan Gelman picked up an 8-6 Delaware win at the No. 3 spot, but the Hens surrendered the point to the Mids after Troy Beneck and Lawton fell 8-3 at the No. 1 spot, and Ryan Kent and Andre Vorobyov dropped an 8-5 decision at the No. 2 spot.
“It was a tough day against a young and talented Navy squad,” said Delaware head coach Laura Travis. “Back at it on Monday.”
Up next, the Blue Hens will hit the road again, this time to face University of Pennsylvania on March 14.
Navy def. Delaware, 6-1
1. Marcus Rebersak, N, def. Troy Beneck, D, 6-4, 6-4
2. Adam Lawton, D, def. Peter McDonald, N, 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
3. Calvin Mark, N, def. Andre Vorobyov, D, 6-3, 6-0
4. Tyler Burnett, N, def. Nolan Gelman, D, 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
5. Blake Daniel, N, def. Ryan Kent, D, 6-3, 6-4
6. Nicholas Gutsche, N, def. Jason Derene, D, 6-3, 6-4
1. Mark/McDonald, N, def. Beneck/Lawton, D 8-3
2. Kenney/Rebersak, N, def. Kent/Vorobyov, D, 8-5
3. Andrews/Gelman, D, def. Daniel/Gutsche, N, 8-6
Back To Men's Tennis Home Men's Tennis Story Archive