University of Delaware Men’s Tennis Battles to Last Match, Drops 4-3 Heartbreaker to Temple
March 20, 2012
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NEWARK, Del. – The University of Delaware men’s tennis squad took Temple to the final match of the day before falling 4-3 in non-league action at the Delaware Field House Tennis Courts.
Delaware’s Troy Beneck and Temple’s Kacper Rams battled at No. 1 singles in the final match before Rams survived with a 4-7, 7-5, 6-1 decision to clinch the win for the Owls (6-7).
Delaware (3-4) picked up two victories in singles and two wins in doubles during the competition.
The Blue Hens took the point in doubles play as they won two of the three matches. Delaware’s Beneck and Adam Lawton defeated Stanislav Stekolshikov and Mansur Gishkaev 8-2 at the No. 1 spot while Nolan Gelman (at right) and Evan Andrews downed Kacper Rams and Hernan Vasconez, 8-3, at the No. 3 position.
In singles action, Delaware got victories from Lawton and Gelman. Lawton defeated Vasconez 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 2 spot while Gelman came back from a 1-0 deficit to edge by Kristian Marquart 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
Delaware and Temple battled to the last match as Beneck took on Rams at the No. 1 spot. Beneck took the first set with a 7-4 victory, but Rams rallied as he evened the score with a 7-5 win in the next set followed by a 6-1 victory in the tiebreaker to lead Temple to victory.
Delaware will look to bounce back as the Hens remain home to host on March 22 to host Lafeyette in a 3 p.m. contest.
Temple def. Delaware, 4-3
1. Kacper Rams, T, def. Troy Beneck, D, 4-7, 7-5, 6-1
2. Adam Lawton, D, def. Hernan Vasconez, 6-1 6-1
3. Stanislav Stekolshikov, T, def. Andre Vorobyov, D, 6-2, 7-6
4. Nolan Gelman, D, def. Kristian Marquart, T, 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Mansur Gishkaev, T, Ryan Kent, D, 6-4, 6-4
6. Hernan Vasconez, T, def. Evan Andrews, D, 6-3, 6-2
1. Beneck/Lawton, D, def. Stekolshikov/Gishkaev, T, 8-2
2. Vasconez/Marquart, T, def. Vorobyov/Kent, D, 8-6
3. Gelman/Andrews, D, def. Rams/Vasconez, T, 8-3
Back To Men's Tennis Home Men's Tennis Story Archive