University of Delaware Men’s Tennis Falls to Old Dominion, 7-0, in CAA Play
March 25, 2012
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. – In a contest that took nearly six hours to decide, the University of Delaware men’s tennis squad dropped a 7-0 decision to host Old Dominion University Sunday in Colonial Athletic Association action.
The Monarchs captured all six singles matches and swept the doubles competition to post the win.
Delaware (4-5, 1-1) managed to send three of the singles matches to tie-breakers and one of the doubles competitions to a tie-breaker but could not pull out a victory as Old Dominion improved to 9-8 on the season and 2-2 in CAA play.
“Despite the score, it was a five and a half-hour battle,” said Delaware head coach Laura Travis. “We played them well.”
One of Delaware’s top singles performances of the day came from Troy Beneck, who battled ODU’s Krzysztof Muzalewski at the No. 1 spot for a 1-0 lead, before dropping the next two sets 6-2, 6-4, to surrender the point.
Nolan Gelman also stretched play at No. 4 to three sets with ODU’s Wesley Barrett after winning the first and dropping the following two sets. Jason Derene was the third Blue Hen to battle to the third set in a matchup with Alfredo Rodriguez of Old Dominion at No. 6, taking a 7-5 lead in the first set before falling 6-5, 12-10.
The number two doubles matchup was the most intriguing of the afternoon, as Andre Vorobyov and Ryan Kent nearly defeated Carlos Lopez Villa and Albert Ochagavia. The game needed a tiebreaker, but the Blue Hens duo fell 8-7 (3).
The Blue Hens remain in Norfolk on March 27 to take on Norfolk State for a 2 p.m. matchup.
Old Dominion def. Delaware, 7-0
1. Krzysztof Muzalewski, ODU, def. Troy Beneck, UD, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-4
2. Carlos Lopez Villa, ODU, def. Adam Lawton, UD, 6-4, 6-2
3. Albert Ochagavia, ODU, def. Andre Vorobyov, UD, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
4. Wesley Barrett, ODU, def. Nolan Gelman, UD, 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-3
5. Can Cetinel, ODU, Ryan Kent, UD, 7-5, 6-1
6. Alfredo Rodriguez, ODU, def. Jason Derene, UD, 5-7, 6-4, 12-10
1. Fahoun/Cetinel, ODU, def. Beneck/Lawton, UD, 8-4
2. Lopez Villa/Ochagavia, ODU, def. Vorobyov/Kent, UD, 8-7 (3)
3. Muzalewski/Rodriguez, ODU, def. Gelman/Andrews, UD, 8-2