Ripoll’s Comeback Gives Hens 4-3 Rollercoaster Win Over CAA Foe James Madison
April 2, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. -- In a rollercoaster afternoon of women’s tennis action, it came down to the sixth flight of singles to determine a winner between the University of Delaware and James Madison University on Saturday.
And in the end, the Blue Hens picked up their second Colonial Athletic Association win of the season at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Courts at Old Dominion University, thanks to a come-from-behind victory by senior Montse Ripoll (at right).
Ripoll, who won her 44th match as a Blue Hen, dropped her first set 6-7 (2), but won the second and third 6-2, 6-1 over Kristin Nimitz to improve Delaware 8-3 on the season.
In doubles action, Ripoll was again part of a rally as she paired up with Dorothy Safron in the second flight. The Blue Hen pair found themselves down 3-6 before starting the comeback, eventually defeating Katherine Bulling and Andriescu 9-8 (5).
Ivana Petrich needed an extra set to pick up a win in the fourth flight, winning the first 6-2. But Madison’s Megan Douglass answered with a 6-4 win in the second set but in the end, Petrich won with a 6-2 victory in the third set.
Playing with her doubles partner Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom, Petrich won the third flight 9-8(7) as Megan Doran and Samantha Carnall earned an 8-6 win in the first flight over Kinsey Pate and Michelle Nguyen for the doubles sweep.
Safron notched her 20th singles win as a rookie, defeating Nguyen 6-4, 6-3 in the second flight.
In the first flight, Doran and Pate battled hard, but the Duke took the win 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.
The Blue Hens return to nonconference action when they head to Philadelphia to make up a match against Temple University. The match is slated to begin at noon on Tuesday at the TU Pavilion.
University of Delaware 4, James Madison University 3
1. Kinsey Pate (JMU) def. Megan Doran 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Dorothy Safron (UD) def. Michelle Nguyen 6-4, 6-3
3. Jacqueline Palmucci (JMU) def. Samantha Carnall 6-1, 6-1
4. Ivana Petrich (UD) def. Megan Douglass 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Katherine Bulling (JMU) def. Olivia Heim 6-4, 6-2
6. Montse Ripoll (UD) def. Kristin Nimitz 6-7 (2-7), 6-2, 6-1
1. Doran/Carnall (UD) def. Pate/Nguyen 8-6
2. Safron/Ripoll (UD) def. Bulling/ Ruxandra Andriescu 9-8 (7-5)
3. Petrich/Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Douglass/Palmucci 9-8 (9-7)
Back To Women's Tennis Home Women's Tennis Story Archive