Blue Hens Fall to Atlantic 10 Foe Temple 7-0
April 5, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. --In the first flight of singles action, University of Delaware senior Megan Doran pushed her Temple University opponent to two tiebreakers, but it was not enough to spark the Blue Hens women’s tennis team, which fell to the Owls 7-0 on Tuesday afternoon at the Arthur Ashe Tennis Center.
The Blue Hens slipped to 8-4 on the season, while Temple, which is seeded second in the 2011 Atlantic 10 Championship Tournament, improved to 14-6.
Doran (at right) gave Elyse Steiner all she could handle, but Steiner eventually won out, defeated Doran 7-6(6), 7-6(2).
In the fifth flight of singles, freshman Olivia Heim took the first set 6-1 over Pazderova. But the Temple Owl rallied to take the point with a 6-1 second set and a 6-4 third set.
Doran paired up with Samantha Carnall to collect the lone Blue Hen victory in the first flight of doubles. The Blue Hen partnership notched their 21st doubles victory of the season as they defeated Jordan Batey and Theresa Stangl 8-3.
Doran and Carnall are just four victories shy of the single season record of 25, set by Doran and Amanda Campbell in 2008-09.
The Blue Hens return to Colonial Athletic Association action on Friday afternoon as they take on the Dragons of Drexel University at the Delaware Field House Tennis Courts. Match time is slated for noon.
Temple University 7, University of Delaware 0
1. Elyse Steiner (TU) def. Megan Doran (UD) 7-6(6), 7-6(2)
2. Yana Mavrina (TU) def. Dorothy Safron (UD) 6-3, 6-0
3. Alicia Doms (TU) def. Samantha Carnall (UD) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jordan Batey (TU) def. Ivana Petrich (UD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Lucie Pazderova (TU) def. Olivia Heim (UD) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Josephine Bergman (TU) def. Montse Ripoll (UD) 6-4, 7-5
1. Doran/Carnall (UD) def. Batey/Theresa Stangl (TU) 8-3
2. Steiner/Pazderova (TU) def. Safron/Ripoll (UD) 8-2
3. Mavrina/Doms (TU) def. Petrich/Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) 9-7
Back To Women's Tennis Home Women's Tennis Story Archive