University of Delaware Women Netters Stay Unbeaten, Cruise Past Lehigh for 7-0 Victory
February 17, 2010
File Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- The University of Delaware women’s tennis squad remained unbeaten Thursday as the Blue Hens cruised to a 7-0 non-league victory over host Lehigh University at the Lewis Tennis Center.
The Blue Hens (3-0) were never seriously threatened throughout the match as they won all six singles matches in straight sets and earned the doubles point with three easy victories over the Mountain Hawks (0-3).
In singles action, Delaware’s Megan Doran posted a 6-1, 7-5 win over Taylor Hampshire; Dorothy Safron posted a 6-4, 6-2 win over Jenai Bilimoria at No. 2; Samantha Carnall was a 6-2, 6-1 winner at No. 3 over Elizabeth Piscitelli; Ivana Petrich recorded a 6-1, 6-4 win over Patricia Muething at the No. 4 spot; Olivia Heim won 6-0, 6-0 over Abbey Perl at the No. 5 flight; and Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom swept Kathleen Larkin by a 6-1, 6-0 score.
In doubles action, Doran and Carnall (at right) posted an 8-2 win over Hampshire and Bilimoria at the No. 1 spot; Petrich and Heim combined for an 8-4 win over Piscitelli and Larkin at the No. 2 position; and Safron and Sjoberg-Sundstrom defeated the team of Perl-Muething 8-3 at No. 3.
Carnall improved to 17-4 on the season while Heim improved to 16-3 in singles action. Carnall and Doran are now 14-3 at doubles this season.
Delaware, off to a 3-0 start for the fourth straight year, will continue action Feb. 26 at the University of Maryland.
Delaware def. Lehigh, 7-0
1. Megan Doran (D) def. Taylor Hampshire (L) 6-1, 7-5
2. Dorothy Safron (D) def. Jenai Bilimoria (L) 6-4, 6-2
3. Sam Carnall (D) def. Elizabeth Piscitelli (L) 6-2, 6-1
4. Ivana Petrich (D) def. Patricia Muething (L) 6-1, 6-4
5. Olivia Heim (D) def. Abbey Perl (L) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (D) def. Kathleen Larkin (L) 6-1, 6-0
1. Doran/Carnall (D) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (L) 8-2
2. Petrich/Heim (D) def. Piscitelli/Larkin (L) 8-4
3. Safron/Sjoberg-Sundstrom (D) def. Perl/Muething (L) 8-3