Blue Hens Go The Distance, But Cannot Overcome No. 70 UNC Wilmington
March 31, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. -- It took four and a half hours to decide a winner, but in the end, the Seahawks of UNC Wilmington, ranked 70th in the most recent Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, proved to be too much for the University of Delaware women’s tennis team, which fell 7-0 on Thursday afternoon.
The match was played at the Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Center on the campus of Old Dominion University during the Hens’ weeklong trip to Virginia.
The Delaware squad left it all on the court, forcing UNC Wilmington to seven tiebreaker sets, including Blue Hen Megan Doran in the first flight of singles. Doran picked up the first set 7-6(5) as Christina Lee bounced back to grab the second set 7-5, as well as the 10-2 tiebreak for the point.
Delaware senior Ivana Petrich (at right) played in two tiebreakers before Kelly Cameron won the fourth flight 7-6(4), 7-6(4). Samantha Carnall’s third flight match against UNCW’s Christina Riley also went the distance before the Seahawk nabbed the point 6-0, 7-6(4).
In the sixth flight, Wilmington’s Lindsay Leblang became the program’s career singles win, earning the 69th of her four-year stint, winning 6-4, 6-1 over Montse Ripoll.
Blue Hen Rookie Dorothy Safron forced Angela Sekely to extra points, but eventually fell 7-6(4), 7-5. Fellow freshman Olivia Heim dropped her fifth flight match 6-3, 6-2 against Chelsea Kahle.
Doubles action saw Doran Carnall pick up the lone win, but the Seahawks won the second and third flights for the doubles point. Doran and Carnall continued to add wins to their program record, taking out Sekely and Olga Blank 8-5.
The Blue Hens get back on the court Saturday when they take on James Madison University. Action is set to begin at 10 a.m. at Old Dominion’s Folkes-Stevens Indoor Tennis Courts.
1. Christina Lee (UNCW) def. Megan Doran (UD) 6-7(5), 7-5, 10-2
2. Angela Sekely (UNCW) def. Dorothy Safron (UD) 7-6(4), 7-5
3. Christina Riley (UNCW) def. Samantha Carnall (UD) 6-0, 7-6(4)
4. Kelly Cameron (UNCW) def. Ivana Petrich (UD) 7-6(4), 7-6(4)
5. Chelsea Kahle (UNCW) def. Olivia Heim (UD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Lindsay Leblang (UNCW) def. Montse Ripoll (UD) 6-4, 6-1
1. Doran/Carnall def. Sekely/Olga Blank (UNCW) 8-5
2. Lee/Leblang (UNCW) def. Safron/Ripoll (UD) 8-6
3. Cameron/Kahle (UNCW) def. Petrich/Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) 9-8(5)
Back To Women's Tennis Home Women's Tennis Story Archive