Blue Hens Sweep Doubles Action At Lehigh Invitational, Post Four Singles Wins
October 15, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
BETHLEHEM, Pa. --At a wind-swept Lewis Tennis Center/Ulrich Varsity Courts on the campus of Lehigh University, the University of Delaware women’s tennis team swept its doubles matches and logged four singles victories during day one of the Lehigh Invitational.
In the non-team scoring event, Delaware faced Saint Francis (Pa.) University during day one. The match featured six singles and three doubles matches.
Dorothy Safron (at right) and Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom each went 2-0 on the day, collecting a singles win each and then pairing up to win their doubles match. Safron won the No. 1 flight easily 6-0, 6-0 over Devynn Sarver while Sjoberg-Sundstrom won her No. 2 match 6-2, 6-1 against Lucy Jasso.
In doubles, the two swept Jasso and Alexandra Sachs 8-0.
Freshman Kimberly Milla notched both a singles and a doubles victory, knocking off Camilla Diaz 6-2, 6-1 in singles and matching up with Christina Harrington to defeat Diaz and Shivani Pater 8-6.
Now in her junior season, Amanda Halstrom won her No. 6 singles match 6-2, 6-1 against Nuria Valls while pairing with Delaware teammate Olivia Heim to defeating Sarver and Valls 8-2 in No. 3 doubles.
In the No. 3 flight, Harrington battled hard and forced a tiebreaker in the first set before falling 7-6 (7-2), 6-3 against Sachs. Heim also needed a tiebreaker in the second before falling in three sets 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 15-13 against Patel.
Delaware continues action at the Lehigh Invitational on Sunday. The all-day action will be played at the Lewis Tennis Center/Ulrich Varsity Courts.
St. Francis – No Team Scoring
1) Dorothy Safron (UD) def. Devynn Sarver (SFU) 6-0, 6-0
2) Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Lucy Jasso (SFU) 6-2, 6-1
3) Alexandra Sachs (SFU) def. Christina Harrington (UD) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
4) Shivani Patel (SFU) def. Olivia Heim (UD) 2-6, 7-6 (7-2) 15-13
5) Kimberly Milla (UD) def. Camilla Diaz (SFU) 6-2, 6-1
6) Amanda Halstrom (UD) def. Nuria Valls (SFU) 6-2, 6-1
1) Safron/Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Sachs/Jasso (SFU) 8-0
2) Harrington/Milla (UD) def. Patel/Diaz (SFU) 8-6
3) Halstrom/Heim (UD) def. Sarver/Vals (SFU) 8-2
Back To Women's Tennis Home Women's Tennis Story Archive