Women’s Tennis Wraps up Lehigh Invitational Against Fordham
October 16, 2011
Photo Courtesy of Mark Campbell
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Behind singles victories from senior Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom and Kim Milla, the University of Delaware women’s tennis team wrapped up the Lehigh Invitational, hosted at the Lewis Tennis Center/Ulrich Varsity Courts this past weekend.
After a successful outing on Saturday, Delaware concluded the non-team scoring event with Fordham University. Delaware picked up two wins in the singles events and one in the doubles.
Sjoberg-Sundstrom (at right) finished her weekend 2-0 in singles No. 2 matches, adding a 6-3, 6-2 win over Angelika Dabu to her win on Saturday.
Milla also notched her second win of the weekend after an extra set thriller against Bella Genkina. The first-year Blue Hen won her match 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 10-6.
In the doubles Amanda Halstrom and Olivia Heim joined up and cruised to an 8-3 victory over the Rams’ pairing of Bethany Boyle and Julie Leong in the third flight. Milla and her partner, Christina Harrington, were narrowly edged 8-6 against Genkina and Hanna Fritzinger in the No. 2 flight.
Delaware concludes its fall schedule this weekend as the Hens travel to Norfolk, Va. for the ITA Regionals, hosted by Old Dominion University. The three-day tournament kicks off October 21 and runs through Oct. 24.
Day Two – No Team Scoring
Delaware vs. Fordham
1) Amy Simidian (Ford) def. Dorothy Safron (UD) 6-2, 6-1
2) Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Angelika Dabu (Ford) 6-3, 6-2
3) Kim Milla (UD) def. Bella Genkina (Ford) 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 10-6
4) Hanna Fritzinger (Ford) def. Amanda Halstrom (UD) 6-0, 6-0
5) Julie Leong (Ford) def. Olivia Heim (UD) 6-2, 6-4
1) Simidian/Dabu (Ford) def. Safron/Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) 6-2, 6-1
2) Fritzinger/Genkina (Ford) def. Milla/ Harrington (UD) 8-6
3) Halstrom/Heim (UD) def. Boyle/Leong (Ford) 8-3
Back To Women's Tennis Home Women's Tennis Story Archive