Delaware Wins Third Straight as Blue Hens Top CAA Foe Towson, 4-3
April 13, 2012
File Photo Courtesy UD Media Services
TOWSON, Md. – The University of Delaware women’s tennis squad won its third straight with a 4-3 victory over Towson University in Colonial Athletic Association action Friday evening.
Delaware (9-4, 3-2) captured the doubles point and swept the top three singles flights as Towson fell to 11-11 overall and 2-3 in conference action.
The Blue Hens earned victories at the top and third flights in doubles to open the contest with a 1-0 lead. Samantha Carnall and Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom posted an 8-4 win in the top flight against Ariel Burke and Ayana Dow. At the No. 3 position, Christina Harrington (at right) and Amanda Halstrom topped Nisha Shah and Cailey Easdale, 8-4 to capture the doubles point.
Carnall got the Hens off to a strong start in singles play as she cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Towson’s Aandria Carr to double Delaware’s lead. The victory would be Carnall's 90th career singles victory.
At No. 2, Dorothy Safron easily defeated Nani Lizana, 6-0, 6-1. Courtney Fenimore was the third Blue Hen to earn a singles point with as she won her fourth straight singles victory with a 6-3, 6-0 win at the third flight over Nisha Shah.
Delaware finishes off regular season play when the Hens head to Fairfax, Va. to take on CAA foe George Mason on April 15 at 12 noon.
Delaware def. Towson, 4-3
1. Samantha Carnall (D) def. Aandria Carr (T) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dorothy Safron (D) def. Nani Lizana (T) 6-0, 6-1
3. Courtney Fenimore (D) def. Nisha Shah (T) 6-3, 6-0
4. Ayana Dow (T) def. S. Sjoberg Sundstrom (D) 6-4, retired
5. Andrea Samlin (T) def. Kimberly Milla (D) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ariel Burke (T) def. Olivia Heim (D) 6-3, 6-1
1. Samantha Carnall/S. Sjoberg-Sundstrom (D) def. Ariel Burke/Ayana Dow (T) 8-4
2. Nani Lizana/Andrea Samlin (T) def. Courtney Fenimore/Dorothy Safron (D) 8-2
3. Christina Harrington/Amanda Halstrom (D) def. Nisha Shah/Cailey Easdale (8-4