Delaware Netters Sweep Through Norfolk State, Women Win 7-0 While Men Bring Home 5-2 Victory
March 27, 2012
File Photos Courtesy of Mark Campbell
NORFOLK, Va. – The University of Delaware men’s and women’s tennis squads upended Norfolk State with a pair of victories Tuesday afternoon in non-league action at the NSU Tennis Complex.
The Delaware men (5-5) posted a 5-2 victory over Norfolk State, which had a six-match winning streak snapped as the Spartans fell to 10-10 on the season. The Blue Hens captured four singles matches with tie-breaking victories and picked up the doubles point with two victories after another hard-fought battle.
The victory came easy on the women’s side as the Hens cruised past the Spartans, 7-0, posting their third straight shutout victory and sixth of the season. Delaware (6-3) swept all six singles matches in straight sets and won all three doubles matches as Norfolk State (7-9) had a five-match win streak halted.
On the men’s side, senior Andre Vorobyov (at right) earned his 57th career doubles victory to become the all-time leader in the Blue Hen record book for individual career doubles wins. He surpassed Austin Longacre, who set the mark at 56 from 2006-10.
Vorobyov and Ryan Kent combined to earn the doubles victory at No. 2 while Jason Derene and Evan Andrews were winners at No. 3.
All four of the men’s singles victories came after hard-fought tie-breakers with Adam Lawton winning at No. 2, Vorobyov at No. 3, Ryan Kent at No. 4, and Andrews at No. 6.The women continued to roll as
Kimberly Milla won her seventh consecutive singles match at the No. 5 spot. Also victorious in singles action were Samantha Carnall at No. 1, Dorothy Safron at No. 2, Courtney Fenimore at No. 3, Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom at No. 4, and Christina Harrington, who won by default at No. 6.
In doubles, Carnall and Sjoberg-Sundstrom paired up to earn a victory at No. 1, while Safron and Fenimore won at No. 2. Olivia Heim (at left) and Amanda Halstrom won by default at No. 3.
Both the men’s and women’s teams will remain in Virginia to take on VCU on Wednesday, March 28 at 2 p.m.
Men: Delaware def. Norfolk State, 5-2
1. Arsenio Culver, N, def. Troy Beneck, D, 6-2, 6-2
2. Adam Lawton, D, def. Ben Marks, N, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Andre Vorobyov, D, def. Igor Braga, N, 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
4. Ryan Kent, D, def. Christian Romanzini, N, 6,4, 6-7 (5), 6-1
5. Daniel Grauel, N, def. Jason Derene, D, 6-4, 7-6 (7)
6. Evan Andrews, D, def, Roosevelt Cooper, N, 6-2, 4-6, 12-10
1. Culver-Marks, N, def. Beneck-Lawton, D, 8-5
2. Vorobyov-Kent, D, def. Romanzini-Austin, N, 8-1
3. Derene-Andrews, D, def. Braga-Shaheed Mourillon-Swift, N, 8-4
Women: Delaware def. Norfolk State, 7-0
1. Samantha Carnall, D, def. Naeemah Brooks, N, 6-0, 6-0
2. Dorothy Safron, D, def. Laura Gutierrez, N, 6-0, 6-2
3. Courtney Fenimore, D, def. Rebecca Graff, N, 6-0, 6-0
4. Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom, D, def. Maryna Kariuk, N, 6-0, 6-0
5. Kimberly Milla, D, def. Kia Batiste, N, 6-2, 6-3
6. Christina Harrington, D, won by default
1. Carnall-Sjoberg-Sundstrom, D, def. Brooks-Graff, N, 8-0
2. Safron-Fenimore, D, def. Kariuk-Gutierrez, N, 8-0
3. Heim-Halstrom, D, won by default
Back To Women's Tennis Home Women's Tennis Story Archive